Are you sick of eating eggs for breakfast in your quest for a grain-free option? We have a joke in our house: “Do you want eggs for breakfast, or eggs for breakfast?” Dairy Free Broccoli Frittata has become a regular menu item in our house in the quest for creative things to do with an egg.
Before we went grain free, I never really realized the amount of grain we used for breakfast until I had to start thinking about what else there was to eat besides grain. Think about it. Pancakes, Waffles, Bagels, Cereal, Corn Bread, Biscuits, Danish, Doughnut; the list goes on and on! As a rule, I think we had a protein heavy breakfast maybe on the weekend when I had time in the morning to really do it up right and fix eggs, bacon, and/or sausage. Wow, has my life changed!!!
I am constantly trying new things to change up the good ol’ egg for breakfast to keep things creative and new. Eggs are such a protein punch for the morning that I like keeping them around (1 egg can be 6 grams of protein – a good start to a healthy thyroid!) Because I find myself with a lot more veggies on hand now. I attempt to stick those into breakfast any way that I can to keep everyone not only happy at breakfast but healthy. My latest creation was a simple frittata that used up broccoli that didn’t get cooked up the night before with some coconut milk and simple spices. At first the family was skeptical of my ‘I like it and it’s good for you’ pitch (but it is!!!). After a little coaxing, they ate it, survived, smiled and gave me the thumbs up to make it again – that’s when I know I hit pay dirt! Hope this helps you in your quest to add healthy breakfast options to your menu and gives you credit for creativity as well!
Dairy Free Broccoli Frittata
1 lg. onion, diced
1-2 cups finely chopped broccoli (as desired)
Pinch of Sea Salt
Dash of Pepper
1 can of coconut milk
12 eggs, lightly beaten
- Heat up your oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat up a medium sized cast iron pan on the stove top on medium heat.
- Add oil to lightly coat cast iron pan.
- Place diced onion in the pan and stir until onions become soft, but not quite translucent.
- Add chopped broccoli and stir until lightly heated.
- Season beaten eggs with salt and pepper as desired.
- Stir in 1 can of coconut milk to egg mixture.
- Gently pour egg and coconut milk mixture over the broccoli and onion in the pan and carefully stir to combine the ingredients.
- Allow egg and veggie mix to cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. As eggs cook underneath, run a spatula around the outer edge of the cast iron pan to allow for the liquid middle to fill in underneath the lower outer cooked layer of egg.
- Place cast iron pan in oven and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, depending on your altitude and humidity. Watch for the edges to begin to golden slightly, and the middle of the egg mixture to become less ‘liquid’ and more solid.
- The frittata is ready when you can place a knife in the center and it comes out clean.
- Pull pan out of oven and let set for 3-5 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Serve with slices of avocado and enjoy!
If you wish to share this recipe, please provide the link back to this recipe here on my website wherever you may share it. If you make changes to the recipe, I ask that you rewrite the recipe in your own words as well as provide a link back to this recipe giving credit as the original recipe that you adapted from. Thank you for your integrity and support! (Plus, I would love to know what changes you make in your own creativity and flavor palates so that we can all benefit from each other!)
The information on this website is for educational purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or cure. Be sure to check with your health professional before making any changes. Please read Medical Disclaimer for more information.